Here is a list of questions you may want to ask your doctor. Please print them out. The answers to these questions, along with the information in your Doctor Discussion Planner, will help you and your doctor set goals and create a treatment plan that focuses on your personal needs.
Remember, if there is an answer you do not understand, do not be afraid to ask your doctor to explain it.
Questions to ask about cholesterol.
- What is my LDL (bad) cholesterol number?
- What should my LDL (bad) cholesterol be?
- When should I have my cholesterol checked again?
- What can I do to help lower my high cholesterol?
Questions to ask about diet and exercise.
- Are there any foods I should avoid?
- What kinds of food should I eat more of?
- How much exercise do I need?
- What types of activities should I be doing?
Questions to ask about ZETIA.
- Can a medicine like ZETIA help me to lower my cholesterol?
- How does ZETIA work to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol?
- If you are taking a statin along with a healthy diet and exercise: Can adding ZETIA to my current cholesterol-lowering medicine help lower my LDL (bad) cholesterol further?
- If you are not taking cholesterol-lowering medicine: Can adding ZETIA to a healthy diet and exercise help lower my LDL (bad) cholesterol further?
Unlike some statins, ZETIA has not been shown to prevent heart disease or heart attacks.
Important Risk Information
About ZETIA (ezetimibe)
ZETIA is a prescription medicine and should not be taken by people who are allergic to any of its ingredients. ZETIA can be taken alone or with a statin. Statins should not be taken by women who are nursing or pregnant or who may become pregnant, or by anyone with liver problems. If you have ever had liver problems or are pregnant or nursing, your doctor will decide if ZETIA alone is right for you. Your doctor may do blood tests to check your liver before you start taking ZETIA with a statin and during treatment.
Unexplained muscle pain or weakness could be a sign of a rare but serious side effect and should be reported to your doctor right away. In clinical studies, patients reported few side effects while taking ZETIA. These included diarrhea, joint pains, and tiredness.